Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ballistic Grandma=Balanced World?

So, we were riding on a pleasant June afternoon--mom commuting to work. No fossil fuel being burned--unless the Krebs cycle in 55 year-olds counts, sunny afternoon, bit of a tail wind, light traffic, life was good. Then, "RICK, WATCH OUT!!!" followed by a large white Toyota SUV making a right turn on my front wheel. I did not see the car until I looked up at hearing Vick's yelling at me, and it was RIGHT THERE. Turning right in front of me. Blocking my chosen path of travel. Well, my adrenaline shot up, I grabbed everything that even looked like brake levers, swerved, skidded, and thought "I've been on the pavement before, and it was not a good experience--a life-changing experience, but not all that fun--don't want to do that again." I did not hit the car--don't know how I missed it--must be watched over. Well, I do the sit up and yell, call on the SUV--always a good idea, and to my surprise, it pulls over. And, to my greater surprise, my little sweet grandma wife sprints--I can't catch her--to the SUV. A young lady gets out, she and Vick are discussing the situation-in loud voice-as I ride up. I hear the youngster say something about "yes, I did see you, but there was plenty of room". Maybe she intended for us to reach out, open the back door, and ride into the large vehicle, because there was NOT plenty of road room. Then I see my sweet, quiet wifey almost ride her Eddy into the front seat, grab the youngster by the sweatshirt and look like she is going to throttle her! Go Vick! I had to call her off, just to avoid a lawsuit, since the only lawyer in the family does something called "patent law". That is the shiny black law, I think. He does not practice pummeling law at all. So, I figure Vick saved my life from the young twit by timely yelling, and I saved the young twit's skin by calling my wife off. Maybe I shouldn't have. Perhaps the throttling of a young twit ignorant SUV driver by a sweet grandma would help restore some balance and sanity to a world quickly becoming less sane and balanced. At least it would have been amusing to watch. Next time I am just standing back. Maybe charge a small admission fee to passers-by.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well she kept saying she gave us plenty of room acting like we were crazy and she was sooo in the right. I had to get in her face, eddy took me there. Then she wouldn't admit her misjudgement or that she had done anything wrong so I had to do something to get it in her head to watch our for bikers. The REAL mom came out in me and I grabbed her stupid UTAH red sweat shirt and started to pinchit and pull it. Then she whips out her cell phone and starts calling 911 and says I can't touch her. That made me touch her some more and tell her to get the police here so she could be arrested for almost killing us! She started saying bad words that start with F so I got on her about that and then eddy took me away so I wouldn't put my dirty bike glove in her mouth. And that was the end of that. I was telling our security guard about it, he said well you had to pull on her shirt to get her attention didn't you?

Nedge said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! Wow!

I hate it when drivers drive too closely, or turn right in front of you. haven't had as close of a call as you, but...I wish I was there to see the spectacle!
I don't think I've ever seen mom angry like that. I wish I could have seen it!

I'm glad you're safe. I bet you were watched over. :)

Nedge said...

It had to be a stinkin' SUV, eh?

Letty said...

Seriously the Wife/mother in me would probrably do the same if I saw my Husbands life flash before my eyes! Especially if the lady wouldn't accept responsibility and show a little remorse and pledge clearer judgment for the future.
GO Mammma!!!
I'm sure she will give bikes a bit more room in the future.

Melissa said...

Rachel L. told me this story last night, and I was highly entertained. I couldn't be more pleased to see the details here today. Just awesome.