Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Spy Wednesday

 We aren't sure of the exact chronology of  the events of Holy Week.  Luke makes mention of something interesting.  It seems that the chief priests and scribes were troubled by some of the Savior's hard-to-hear teachings.  Here is what they did in response-

19 And the chief priests and the scribes the same hour sought to lay hands on him; and they feared the people: for they perceived that he had spoken this parable against them.

20 And they watched him, and sent forth spies, which should feign themselves just men, that they might take hold of his words, that so they might deliver him unto the power and authority of the governor.

They sent spies pretending to be "just men" to "take hold of his words".  They wanted to "catch" the Savior in his words, his teachings, in order to have a reason to deliver him up to the authorities.

Because of this, some call Wednesday of Holy Week "Spy Wednesday".

The Gospels all record ongoing teachings through this mid-week period.  I want to focus on one very important truth the Savior taught during this time. 

One of the scribes asked Him "Which is the first commandment of all?" The Savior answered  (Mark's version)  "And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namley this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."

To which the scribe replied "Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

I don't know if this scribe was trying to catch the Savior in his teachings, but I am blessed that he posed the question, as the Savior's answer helps me keep perspective on my mortal adventure.  When I let myself get too caught up in the "work", the checkboxes, the often misunderstood "after all you can do" that follows the truth that it is by the Savior's grace that we are saved, the Saviors response-to love God and my neighbor-helps me refocus and get back on the right path.  If I think about what I could do to show God I love him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength, and my neighbor as myself, well, I tend to act better and try to become more like Him.

There is so much to think about how each of us is doing in following these two commandments.

How do you think the Savior replied to this scribe's response to Him?  "And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God.".

Seems like  this scribe understood what the Savior was talking about.  I would assume that his heart had been changed by the spirit as he had listened to the Savior's teachings that week.

May we all have hearts that allow us to love God and our neighbors that we may be found "...not far from the kingdom of God".  And I hope we listen with these same hearts to His teachings, even when they seem hard.

No comments: