Sunday, April 27, 2008

Homemaking vs Housekeeping

One of our lessons in church today was based on a talk given by Sister Beck in Oct conference--"Mothers Who Know". One point sister Beck made was that one of Mother's primary roles is to "nurture" the family--see the Proclamation to the World on the Family. She equated "nurturing" with "homemaking". There was some discussion of why homemaking is important, and some jokes made about not telling our wives that they are supposed to be world-class homemakers. But it hit me that "homemaking" is not at all the same as "housekeeping". "Homemaking" implies that the mother is responsible for making a "home". Home--the place we feel safe, warm, loved, cared for. I want to go Home when I leave this existence. I know women who have been wonderful housekeepers--spotless, everything where it belongs, organized on several levels--but not very effective homemakers. On the other hand, I have been in "homemakers" homes that could have maybe used a bit of sweeping or picking-up, but, it felt nice--in my heart--to be there.
I understand that Sister Beck's comments were criticized in some forums, but I think she is right. I know my sweet wife is a wonderful "homemaker", as I want to be at my home-with her. I think our kids, grandkids feel the same. I know I feel that way in our married kids homes, even when they need a bit of housekeeping. Hey, even fathers can help with that.

5 comments:

Nedge said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!
I know exactly what you mean. I have been in those houses that are squeaky-clean, but seem stark or lacking in some way.
Then there's those houses that actually seem like homes, a place where you feel home.

Rick Edge said...

Still, there is much to be said for not living in a pig sty. What is next to Godliness?
Dad used to call us kids the piggy family and snort. I find myself doing the same thing for O and Poppy.

Rick Edge said...

Oh - Somebody at work mentioned the old phrase that "you can never go home again". I thought, yeah, just like salmon. Well, without the dying once you get there...

Old Warrior said...

So, piggies ever go home again? I mean, without the dying part? By the way, you guys are always welcome to come out to our place--your old home...

Letty said...

I will say that you raised a great helper-out son, he is great to pitch in and help me out when ever I need an extra hand...or just because he is a great guy.
Thanks for raising such a good boy for me to marry.