Thursday, December 7, 2023

Fear Not!

 OK-I don't know for sure if the angel shouted "Fear Not" or if he spoke it in a more comforting voice.  I do know that there have been times in my life when I needed some "Fear Not!" loud enough to get my attention  away from my fears so I could do what needed doing.  The most recent was  a week ago.  Grandma and I had been asked to tell stories at our ward Christmas dinner-something about the Nativity.  We agreed of course, even though this is a very scary thing for me.  Grandma prepared a very entertaining story and she, along with help from her stage crew (me) had the kids and adults engrossed and engaged as she shared a very timely tale.  We had the few kids in the ward-ward members and guests-sitting on the red rug just a few feet in front of us.  I handled the props well and provided the "music" and Grandma was animated and amusing as she told her tale.  The kids watched and listened and enjoyed.

When she was done and it was my turn to tell a tale, the kids were, well, almost done.  I could see them fidgeting and squirming early on.  Then there was a bit of full-on wrestling.  I had to tell myself a few times to "fear not".  We eventually got through the story without anyone being injured.  Yay!

Those poor shepherds.  They were out in the dark of night-no city lights-in the wild protecting their sheep when the angel "came upon them".  Of course they were afraid.  So the instruction, counsel, admonition (yes, use that last one please) to "fear not" was probably the best thing the angel could have told them.  

You know those lanyards that we all have to wear to work or at conferences and such-those things hanging around our necks with our names and positions on them?  All of your teachers wear them.  As do almost everyone else. I'm supposed to wear mine when I go to people's homes to do my work.  Do you know one reason we wear those?  Perhaps it is to put others at ease that this is someone with an official name badge and picture who belongs here and has a role to fill.  Not just a random person, or, in the shepherds' case, some ghost with nefarious purposes.  

Maybe it would have been easier if the angel had had his picture, name and title hanging around his neck.  Or maybe the glory shinning around him was enough.

Even better, the angel went on to tell these keepers of sheep and lambs that he had brought them "good tidings of great joy which shall be to all people".  The fact that the angel was bringing good tidings probably helped relieve the shepherds' fears. At least a bit.  Now their flight or fight responses would be inhibited and they could hear the Good Tidings to follow.  Tomorrow.

Don't blame me for stopping mid story, blame the giant advent calendar one of you sent us!


Note-I know we didn't start this on 1 Dec so we missed the first few days.  We may (or may not) try to revisit those first few days if I can see places to easily do it.  As always, it's all about Grandpa's convenience.  

Another note-I've been thinking the past few weeks that all of us, perhaps, should start wearing picture name badges with the title "Child of God" on them.  Maybe it would help us all see each other a bit more clearly and with more charity.  And with less fear.  Except for those stinkin' dentists.. I may always fear them, even if I pretend otherwise.  I might change the title on the one I have from "PT" (for Physical Therapist) to "COG" and see if anyone notices.  I'll let you know.

No comments: