Monday, December 25, 2023

Gifts

 So, it's late Christmas Eve as I sit and write these few thoughts.  For those of us who wear more than a handful of decades, this season, and this night particularly, bring about many memories.  As is my custom most years, I am following Ebenezer's adventures of this night many years ago.  What a gift he was given to see past, present, future Christmas's with otherworldly beings as guides.

I'm going to share with you a short tale of Christmas present (now) and of a present (gift) I gave Grandma on her birthday this year, and of another Gift to all of us.

First-let it be known that I am not the best chooser and giver of gifts.  I love giving gifts but am not good at finding gifts that fit-literally and metaphorically.  Maybe I could shop the cosmos and find some that might fit better metaphysically.  But that would indeed be a tale for another time!

Maybe that is what I did for Grandma's birthday this year.  A question for all of you-how do you know that a gift you present to someone is appreciated, used, valuable-even cherished?   I'll let you think while I tell this tale.

On Grandma's birthday (26th of November each year-sometimes on Thanksgiving, always with great thanksgiving)  I gave her a sweater/sweatshirt thingy with a cowl/turtle neck.  Yes, I can see that you understand my sense of clothes and fashion.  Whenever I am a brave enough to give her clothes on her birthday I make sure it is something warm and looks cozy since her birthday is, as already noted, in late November.  Other than that I am out in the cold.  Well, she opened the sweater thingy-yes, I kept the receipt just in case- I have learned from past efforts.  She smiled and told me "thank you very much, I love it".  I thought "sure!-nice attempt".  Then she wore it to church, as her birthday was on a Sunday.  I thought "great!  At least it will be worn once".  Then, the next day, Monday, she wore it to work.  And again on Tuesday.  And Wednesday. And everyday for the next three weeks.  I think I mentioned to her once that it could stand to be chucked in the washing machine.  She responded that she would when it needed it.

Well! I did it!  I gave her a gift that was warm, comforting, comfortable and looked good on her.  One that she used.  A lot!    The fact that Grandma likes and uses the gift I gave her makes me feel good inside and I smile when I see her wear it.  What a good gift-giver I was! At least that time.

So, back to my question to you.  How do you know a gift you've given is appreciated, cherished, valuable to the giftee?  Of course you know-they use the gift and it does serve an important purpose to them-like being comfortable, warm and cozy like the sweater I gave Grandma.

You all, being so clever, know where this is headed, right?  Well, it's Christmas.  What Gift that we celebrate this time of year have we all been given?  You are correct!  It is the Lamb of God sent here to sacrifice Himself for each of us.  The Good Shepherd sent here to call each of us by name to follow him, take care of each other, and journey with Him home to heavenly pastures.  It is our Friend and Brother who knows us better than we know ourselves sent to comfort, lift burdens, strengthen feeble knees and lift hanging arms. It is a member of the Godhead sent here to experience what you and I experience-and more-so He knows perfectly how to best care for us.  If we let Him.

So how does our Father know that we appreciate, value, even cherish His Gift to Us?  We use it everyday.  We let it comfort and warm us.  We try to wear it out-unsuccessfully since it is infinite-in our use of His Love for us.  And we share it with others through providing care and comfort and warmth and safety and sharing burdens and lifting and strengthening our mortal brothers and sisters while on our eternal journeys.  All while using His Love, Light, Bread, and Living Water to sustain, support and strengthen us as we journey together.

This Christmas let us all consider how we best can reach up to better use the Gift of His Son and how we can then reach out to others to best use the Gift of His Son.

I think when God sees us using the Gift of His Son it makes Him feel good and smile for us.  Doesn't that make you feel good?  Now, my little Brutes, hang on to that little good feeling!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: