Monday, December 25, 2023

Happy Birthday Mom

 99 years ago today, the 23rd day of December 2023, my mother was born in Vernal, Utah.  Her mother was Elizabeth Slaugh, her father, Lewis Chivers.  Elizabeth was known as "Lizzie" and described as "an angel".  She died of consumption when she was 48, mom was 12.  Lewis was a farmer and a sheepherder.  He died when he was 70.  

I wasn't around as mom was growing up in the Uintah basin.  I do know that she was the oldest daughter in the family after aunt Mary got married and moved out.  I also know that she played some mean softball and was a good student.  Mom left home before finishing high school, worked as a waitress in Colorado and made her way to Salt Lake.  She and dad met while dad was stationed at Camp Kearns toward the end of WWII.  She went back to school in her 40's to become a counselor for alcoholics.  I think she tried to do what she could to make the world a bit better.  I know that life for her was hard at times.  I didn't realize that when I was a kid.

Christmas time bring memories of family as a kid and mom plays a large role in those (yeah, "duh!").  See the post about ruining Christmas for a glimpse.

In her later years we would have all of the Edge side of the Kayser/Edge collaboration come to our home on Dec 23 to celebrate Mom's birthday.  I think she enjoyed those.  I hope so.

Love you mom, hope you are doing well.  Happy Birthday.  We miss having you here to celebrate them.

No comments: